If you’d like to submit a guest post for potential publication, that’s awesome. Thanks for thinking of us!
First, a few caveats:
- We don’t accept posts from random companies looking to get a link to a product or service we’ve never heard of. Sorry.
- Our audience has advanced knowledge. That means we can’t accept posts on beginner info that’s been said 1,000 times already.
- Please don’t email to ask us if we accept guest posts, because we just said we did. Thanks!
Still with us? Great.
You’re probably a really nice person with something smart to say and a good idea on what to write. If that’s the case, please read this page. It provides valuable information that helps your post get accepted. (Besides, we know when someone hasn’t read it – we’re really savvy that way.)
Your Post Should Be Relevant
Our audience wants to read about new, different or better ways to succeed online, earn more income or land new clients, and that’s why the Men with Pens blog covers topics including copywriting, freelancing, entrepreneurship, online marketing, smart website strategies and good business practices, to name just a few.
Please don’t send us posts on hair dryers, steel rods, or peanut butter jelly beans. The answer is no. (Unless you’ve somehow creatively tied that into writing, freelancing or entrepreneurship, of course.
Your Post Should be Well Written
We’re picky. Really, really picky, because our audience relies on us to deliver only the best. (You can almost say that having your post approved for publication is a stamp of prestige!)
Here are some tips to help:
- Demonstrate good command of language, grammar, punctuation, clarity, style and tone. Run your content through a spell check, and try to catch all the typos.
- Edit your post well, and rewrite it a few times. It’s a good idea to set your post aside for a day or two and come back to it with fresh eyes.
- Use an outline, and structure your post well. Sub-headers and bullet points or strong impact statements help your content stay on track.
- Have a well-rounded wrap-up. A good conclusion is one of the most neglected areas of guest posts. Please end yours with a good bang that encourages conversation and commentary.
- During its trial through The Gauntlet, your post may be edited for quality and clarity. Don’t be offended; it’s normal. You’ll have ample opportunity to approve our edits before publication.
Your Post Should be Useful
Our readers appreciate interesting, useful, practical, helpful, actionable information that brings them significant benefits. Be an expert – educate, teach and give strategies to help them improve their lives.
- Noticed a common problem you know how to solve? Teach people a better way of working, or a way they can eliminate a frustration.
- Are there tips, tricks and tactics that have improved your business? Tell our audience and challenge them to try this new strategy.
- Do you feel strongly about a situation? Explore the pros and cons, and present your opinions clearly with good, persuasive arguments for change.
Your Post Should Be Unique
Our audience expects content on topics that are different, fresh, or that take a new angle on old topics.
- Be creative. There are plenty of posts on how to write a killer headline –present it in a new and different way that gets people paying attention
- Be thoughtful. Talk about new ideas that haven’t been covered on other blogs. Notice what everyone’s doing – and figure out what they’re not doing. Zig when they zag, and shake things up a bit.
- Be original and unique. Go through our archives to find what we haven’t covered yet – beat us to the punch. Or take an opposing stance to one of our opinions. Challenge us – and challenge our readers with a fresh idea.
- Be interesting. Give your writing some swing. Tell a story, use a great metaphor, or write some thought-provoking material. You can even write on controversial topics if you’d like.
- Please include an author bio with your guest post, and make it fun and interesting.
- You may include a link or two in your post, if said links are relevant and point to material that is of value to our readership.
- Affiliate links are not permitted.
- We’ll take care of finding a nice photo to match to your post – no need to send one in.
- Submit your posts in Word .doc format.
- Please credit all sources, assets and use common sense.
- Your post must be original work that hasn’t been offered or published elsewhere.
- A guest post is a gift that you give away. If your article is accepted, you grant a license for Men with Pens to be the exclusive publisher. You may republish extracts – for example, on your own site – but the article in its entirety should not appear elsewhere.
- If your article is accepted, you consent to the full article, extracts, samples or examples appearing in other Men with Pens products and/or services. Don’t worry – we’ll credit you as author.
Whew – You Made It! What’s Next?
Go ahead. Send us your guest post by email as an attachment. In your message, tell us a bit about you and share a link to your site so we can check you out.
Use the secret password “Maserati” in your subject line or message. Otherwise, we’ll know you didn’t pay attention. Tsk.
We’ll confirm receipt of your submission and schedule its run through The Gauntlet. That Gauntlet takes time, and we’re very busy around here, so please be patient. It may take between 1 to 3 weeks before we can confirm acceptance for publication.
For more advice on how to guest post your way to success on any and every blog out there, check out our guidebook, How to Guest Post for Success.